Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Upconverting DVD players

  1. #1
    Inactive Member cvcgrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 12th, 2005
    Posts
    2,022
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Upconverting DVD players

    I'm wondering if anyone has tried using one of the upcoverting DVD players with an HDtv. If so, have you had any success with it?

    Supposedly, the player will convert the standard dvd to 1080p (high def) format. But, the comments I've read have been mixed. Some say its a rip-off while some say its a big improvement over standard dvd.
    [URL="http://cvcgrad.spaces.live.com/blog/"][/URL]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upconverting DVD players

    Some are a rip off, some are very good at it. The best one, especially for the money is actually one of the Toshiba HD DVD players. You can find those for dirt now, and they have the same processing as a $1500 Denon upconverting player.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  3. #3
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upconverting DVD players

    When I tired this it was hit and miss. For Example Lord Of The Rings looked amazing. The Painted Veil looked like it was filmed in the rain, it had a lot of grain in it.
    I took the HDMI cable back and got back my $36.97 and continued to use the componet cables.
    I think it has a lot to do with the quality of the dvd you are using because i tried out 4 and it was 2 amazing - 2 very bad.

    I decided i would rather have EVERYTHING look really good instead of some look great and others look crappy.
    another thing I didn't like was with the HDMI cable I had some audio situations where I would have to go into the system settings if I wanted to use the surround sound or if I wanted sound from the tv.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upconverting DVD players

    What player was you using?
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  5. #5
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upconverting DVD players

    It is a Philips DVP 3960
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upconverting DVD players

    Get that HD-A3 for $90 and you won't have it varying between discs. It will look HD quality.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  7. #7
    Inactive Member cvcgrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 12th, 2005
    Posts
    2,022
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upconverting DVD players

    I've wondered about the Toshiba HD players since prices are dropping. I've read articles where some stores are selling the HD DVD players w/ 5 movies or something like that.
    [URL="http://cvcgrad.spaces.live.com/blog/"][/URL]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upconverting DVD players

    Yeah, its and HDDVD promotion that has been going on since Christmas. Like I said, that HD-A3 is well worth the $80-90.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  9. #9
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Upconverting DVD players

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cvcgrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> convert the standard dvd to 1080p (high def) format. </div></div>

    1080i
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  10. #10
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Upconverting DVD players

    I bought a Samsung surround system, it came with a 5 disc DVD upconversion player, I haven't had any problems and the picture quality is good, but I would still rather watch blu-ray.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •